Get To Know Dan Ralston

It's important to know and trust your Lake of the Ozarks real estate agent when you are buying or selling your home.  I recently sat down and answered a few questions about myself, and I wanted to share those answers with you.  You and I may just have quite a bit in common.



How long have you been in real estate? 

Most of my career through college and onward has been in the bar and restaurant field.  1995 to 2002, Tami (my wife) and I decided to get our own place in a small town area just west of Overland Park in DeSoto, KS.  Full restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  And we also had a pub on the other side.  We called it Kill Creek Pub and Grill because the actual Kill Creek ran 1/4 mile behind us.  When I sold out to my partner's brother in law in 2002, I wasn't quite sure what to do next.  And at my uncle's urging, I got my real estate license in KS and had it reciprocate in MO since that's where his office and most of his business was. 

What brought you to the Lake of the Ozarks? 
I moved here to the Lake ten years ago in June, 2005.  As a kid, my folks had a summer cabin at a smallish lake in Lees Summit called Lake Lotowana, as did my grandparents, and my aunt and uncle.  So I kind of grew up as a "Lake Rat."  Well, one of my cousins got married in CO in 2003 and at the wedding, one of my Lotowana running buddies was there and we started talking about the old days.  I remember the conversation going something like me saying, "I wish I didn't have to wait for retirement to get a Lake house."  and "It sure would be nice if I could give my kids the same opportunity to grow up in a Lake atmosphere as I did."  And that's when he says, "Well, you're in luck.  I happen to live at Lake of the Ozarks, looking to start up a gutter soffit, fascia, and siding business and I could use a partner."  The idea sounded pretty good to me and after commuting back and forth for about 9 months, we finally sold our place in DeSoto, packed up the trucks, and headed this way.  Once down here, I decided that maybe being up high on condo roofs and dangling from ladders everyday wasn't the right gig for me.  So I started in full time with real estate with a small company in Lake Ozark in 2006.  That company folded and in Spring 2009, I was fortunate enough to be invited to the Gattermeir Davidson team.  

Lake of the Ozarks realtors meeting with State Representatives at the Capital.


Where did you grow up and go to school?
I grew up in the Johnson County area of Kansas City, went to Shawnee Mission North High School.  Home of the Indians!  Then I went to Kansas State University in Manhattan, KS where I received a Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts and went on a blind date with my future wife of 26 years.  We have three kids, two in college and one going into high school this year.  So there is a light at the end of the tunnel! 



What is your favorite thing about the real estate business? 
One of my favorite things about real estate, at least when it's a Buyer, is when we finally get to the last day of the process, we're at our walk through, and before we head over to the title company, I get to hand them the keys.  Sometimes the process was short and easy.  Sometimes very lengthy and difficult.  But usually by Closing Day, we've had to overcome some hurdles along the way, and I have gotten to know them not just as clients, but has people......families that have similar life stories as I do.  And hopefully, a long term rapport has been built.

What is your LEAST favorite thing about the real estate business? 
One of my least favorite things are when a deal starts to go south, whether it is Buyer fault, Seller fault, Lender fault, Lien holder, act of God, whatever.  There comes a point where it is out of my hands and the deal will either get salvaged or it won't.  That's when I just have to stand back and remember what my sister would say.  "You can only do what you can do, and that's all you can do."  Not sure if she authored that, but I like to think that it's her original.

What do you like to do in your free time?
Dan's Art

-I have a few passions/ hobbies/ items of interest that I like to do away from work.  Love to play golf and excited to use my new set of fitted Mizuno irons and Taylor Made woods this summer. 
-I enjoy running quite a bit.  Gives me time to think and usually takes some stress away. 
-Although I haven't been as active as I like, I still love to practice my art.  Most of the time, it's with oil and canvas, but sometimes I'll dabble with some pastels and paper.  
-And of course, living at the Lake, I love any chance I can get to spend some time with the family out on the water.

What's your favorite sports team?
Always have been and will be, no matter if they are at the top, bottom, or somewhere in between, a big Royals, Chiefs, and K-State Wildcat fan.



What's your favorite music?

I have tried to pick up the guitar from time to time and know a few chords/ licks from my dad, daughter and on family get togethers, but someone forgot to give me the rhythm gene so I'm not very good.  I grew up with the John Denver/ Simon and Garfunkel/ Eagles type stuff around the campfire, so that folk music will always be a part of me.  But I also like a some hard rock, 80's, and 90's stuff, and my wife is a country gal so that also gets a lot of playing time around our house.

What motivates you?
What motivates me more than anything is being able to provide for my family.
After a lot of struggles over the years, I finally feel like I am becoming successful at what I do and would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Describe yourself in 3 words.
1) loyal (probably to a fault)
2) persistent or stubborn......maybe a bit of both
3) funny, at least my wife thinks I am sometimes

What food do you absolutely refuse to eat? 
I will not eat turnips or canned mushrooms.  Everything else is fair game

What is your "go to" karaoke song?
I do not have a go to karaoke song but have done it three times in my life.
Songs were My Way (Frank Sinatra), I'm a Cowboy (Bon Jovi), and Take me to the River (Talking Heads)




What's on your bucket list?  
Multiple items but most of them are outdoor adventures or thrills.  Like hiking Appalachian Trail (at least part), or hiking parts of Europe, hitting some CO peaks, rafting different rivers outside of Midwest, anywhere near oceans or waterways is cool with me.  What's not on my bucket list is to travel to large cities like New York, or LA, or London, or Mexico City.  


Hopefully you feel like you have gotten to know me a little better.  I love what I do, and you can trust me to do the best possible job for you when you are ready to talk about real estate at the Lake of the Ozarks.  Contact me today so that I can learn all about you and what you are looking for.  


Here for all of your real estate needs!



573-365-1555

View my website
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Google+
  
  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Fun Facts About The Lake of the Ozarks

Christmas and NYE FUN at the Lake of the Ozarks

5 Reasons To Live HERE!